Important Timelines

Saturday, January 13, 2007

What a day! And its not over

Less than 48 hours until we finally meet Zoe Grace. Wherever we go - that is on the mind of each one of us.

Well, after a rough nite we were up and out of here by 9 am. We headed first to the Yuyuan Gardens in Shanghai's Old Town Section. Much of the area has been redone to be reminiscent of a much earlier time - but new construction is everywhere! The gardens are really amazing and I have so many awesome photographs. As a landscape architect once in my life - I truly was taken with the details.

Surrounding the garden is the Yuyuan market. Somewhat of a bazaar geared to visitors - foreign and local. David held our place in the LONG que for what is said to be Shanghai's best steamed buns. They were definately worth the wait!! The boys enjoyed the meat grilled on a stick- and no, I have absolutely no idea what kind it was. It did not seem to bother them!

While we waited the boys were the center of attention. Grayson seemed to take it best - Skylar kept pulling his hat over his face. As in the states, everyone thinks they are twins - which makes it even more interesting.

We later went to the French Concession area. The concierge had us dropped off at a small development with shops and restaurants with outdoor seating - all with an Urban Land Institute award. I think this is the development featured on China Revealed by National Geographic. It was nice - but not so authentic. We headed back to the main drag and enjoyed walking with the locals.

The boys are tired - and were just dying to get back and test the gameboy games we haggled over at the bazaar. We are pretty sure we paid too much but at $11 a game it is okay. They work and are in English. So we are taking a breather.

We are planning to have dinner on The Bund which is the avenue along the river.

I must say - the haggling has worn even me out. I better get better at it fast as I have many things to buy. I have not, however, seen the amazing deals I have heard about still. We tried to go to a market in the French Concession - but it has moved. If I only had more time!!

I must say - this city feels like it never ends. It is amazing!

No comments: